Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Fresh, tart apples from the orchard and some freshly-dug carrots, onions and garlic from the garden will give this stewy-soup a real punch of vitality! We butcher our own chickens, too, so this is VERY fresh!
- 1 whole roasting chicken, cut in pieces
- 6 -8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 3 -4 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 2 -3 tart apples, cored & chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (or less)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 -2 tablespoon curry powder, to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne, to taste
- salt & pepper
- 4 -5 cups hot cooked rice
- chopped parsley, garnish
- In soup-pot, cook chicken, water, salt and two of the onions, celery and carrots; bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover & simmer for at least a half-hour.
- More finely chop the remaining onion(s), then in a large frying pan, saute onions in oil until transparent. Add chopped apples, continue sauteeing for 4-5 minutes, then add garlic to the pan.
- Quickly sprinkle flour and curry powder over the apple-onion mixture, mix and cook for about 1 minute (maybe a bit more).
- Remove one cup of broth from soup-pot, and pour slowly over the apple-onion mixture, stirring all the while; add another cup of broth if you'd like, and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly pour roux from frying pan into soup-pot; stir well to blend.
- Simmer for another half-hour.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Put 1/2 to 1 cup of rice in each bowl OR over egg noodles, spoon stew-soup over rice and garnish with parsley.
- OPTIONAL VARIATIONS: Figure one piece of meat per serving. OR Use 3-4 cups of meat picked from the turkey carcass at Thanksgiving. OR Add giblets to the stock as it cooks for additional flavor. OR Use bite-size chunks of breast meat in place of the whole bird.
- SUBSTITUTION: Replace the water with chicken soup stock or bouillon.
- WARNING: Do NOT mix rice or noodles with the soup when you put away the leftovers -- the soup will turn into a soggy mess of curried pudding. Unless you LIKE that sort of thing -- .