Recipe by saddlingup_nicole
This authentic salsa recipe will make your next large gathering a hit and leave people wanting more. Whether throwing a party or simply making some salsa for your own enjoyment, this recipe combines the perfect blend of spices and herbs for a wonderful eating experience. The versasility of this salsa is amazing! Try it on chips, eggs, grilled chicken or steak! This recipe is so simple, you dont need to roast peppers or cook the onion, throw it all in the blender and serve
Top Review by Jostlori
Oh, my!!! I have to admit that I'm a salsa snob - and usually don't use a recipe to make them. But I chose salsa as a theme for My Three Chefs, and was rewarded with this awesome recipe! I was VERY leery of the instructions, as I have never used dried chiles in a salsa without reconstituting them in hot water first. I'm Hispanic, so I think I know my stuff - but apparently not. :-) This salsa is beyond excellent. However, be forewarned that it is very spicy (I only used 10 chiles, and only the dried seeds of 5 of them). Perhaps it was the jalapeno, which was a very hot one. The flavor is deep and complex. Add to this how very EASY it was to make and you have a winner! You've made a believer out of me, and thank you for posting a salsa recipe that is going directly to my Favorites folder. Made for My 3 Chefs 2013.
- 11 -15 dried arbol chiles (8-10 dried arbol peppers for Mild, 11-15 medium, 16-20 for Hot)
- 1 (14 ounce) can DelMonte stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Take the stems off the peppers and throw away the stems.
- Place the peppers and seeds in the bender. Blend well.
- Next toss in the stewed tomatoes with juice, 1 jalepeno (sliced), 1/2 yellow onion (quarterd), 1 garlic clove, handful of cilantro, lemon juice, salt and pepper and blend til you have the consistancy desired.
- I dont like my salsa chunky, thats what Pico De Gallo is! I also dont want it to runny so it runs off your chips, so i just "pulse" it a few times.
- If you feel the salsa looks to white from the onion this just means you need to add more cilantro to your salsa. Try the salsa with your chips and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Refridgerate for at least 1 hour before serving.