Top Review by evelync
You will never use canned tomato sauce again after trying this sauce.This is how the italians make it and it is exceptional.I make this all summer and as far into the fall as I can find decent tomatoes.I highly recommend you use roma or italian tomatoes and discard the seeds as they are bitter.
- 8 large fresh tomatoes, diced into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves fresh garlic, chopped or minced
- 3⁄4 cup fresh basil, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- To cook sauce, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large iron skillet or heavy saucepan.
- Add garlic and cook until tender.
- Add fresh tomatoes and cook until heated through.
- Stir in basil, crushed red pepper, black pepper and salt.
- Serve sauce over cooked spaghetti or other italian pasta and top with parmesan cheese.