Chef SuzyQ's Note:
My mom snowbirds in Arizona every year and she got this from a lady who makes Indian Tacos to sell at county fairs, etc. It's authentic and, by far, the best Indian Fry Bread I've ever eaten. It's also very soft and easy to work with. It makes enough tacos for 12-15 people, but it's an easy recipe to halve.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (it's the perfect temperature when it's quite warm, but you can keep your little finger in the liquid)
- 3 compressed yeast cakes (equivalent to 6 3/4 t. of yeast)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 3 eggs, beaten until foamy
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 cups flour (no more(no less)
- oil (for frying)
- 1YEAST MIXTURE: Mix the first 3 ingredients and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 2BATTER MIXTURE: In a separate mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except for the 12 cups of flour. Mix well.
- 3Add yeast mixture to batter.
- 4Add 12 cups of flour. Mix well. Dough does not have to be kneaded, but should be well-mixed and should rest for awhile. I've found that if you let it double in size, it's even softer and easier to work with.
- 5Form into small "pats," depending on the size you're looking for. Roll or stretch until thin (this dough really puffs up when fried). Fry until golden brown and cooked through.
- 6Top with your favorite toppings. We top with hamburger, refried beans, shredded lettuce, tomato, salsa, and sour cream. They're also WONDERFUL with honey butter.
- 7If you don't eat them all the first day, you can keep the dough in the fridge and fry it up in the next day or two. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Indian Taco Fry Bread
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 766.9
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 57.1 mg
- Sodium 496.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 115.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 17.0 g
- Protein 16.1 g