My father was stationed in the Phillipines for a few years when I was young. My mom hated the heat. In fact, this recipe was one of the few things she actually loved about the place! Our 'house-girl' taught us the joy of chicken adobo, and we taught her the joy of pancakes. VEGETARIAN'S NOTE: I now substitute tofu for the chicken, cutting the tofu into chunks and letting it soak in the liquid ingredients (other than water) and with the garlic and onion for some time before I start cooking so it absorbs the flavor a little more like chicken. Still an absolute favorite for my family!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 package boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks (or Tofu--see note)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 potatoes, chunked
- 3 carrots, in thick slices
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar (or Filipino, Japanese, or Korean vinegar)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cooking wine (preferably white)
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 dash italian seasoning or 1 dash oregano
- 1 dash orange rind
- cornstarch (2 tbsp mixed w/ water)
- 1Into a medium large saucepan, put 2 cups of water, chicken (or tofu--see note), onion, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, cooking wine, and sugar.
- 2Bring it to a boil.
- 3Add the spices and simmer 5 minutes.
- 4Add the vegetables and cook until tender.
- 5Thicken the sauce with the cornstarch mixture.
- 6Serve with steamed rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Filipino Chicken Adobo
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.7
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 839.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper