Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My father was stationed in the Phillipines for a few years when I was young. My mom hated the heat. In fact, this recipe was one of the few things she actually loved about the place! Our 'house-girl' taught us the joy of chicken adobo, and we taught her the joy of pancakes. VEGETARIAN'S NOTE: I now substitute tofu for the chicken, cutting the tofu into chunks and letting it soak in the liquid ingredients (other than water) and with the garlic and onion for some time before I start cooking so it absorbs the flavor a little more like chicken. Still an absolute favorite for my family!
- 1 package boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks (or Tofu--see note)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 potatoes, chunked
- 3 carrots, in thick slices
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar (or Filipino, Japanese, or Korean vinegar)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cooking wine (preferably white)
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 dash italian seasoning or 1 dash oregano
- 1 dash orange rind
- cornstarch (2 tbsp mixed w/ water)
- Into a medium large saucepan, put 2 cups of water, chicken (or tofu--see note), onion, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, cooking wine, and sugar.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Add the spices and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and cook until tender.
- Thicken the sauce with the cornstarch mixture.
- Serve with steamed rice.