1/2 Photos of Authentic Chinese Pork Chow Mein
1 hr 30 mins
No need to order in chow mein when you can make it yourself, this is just as good if not even better than any Chinese restaurant or take-out -- if you prefer more flavor then add in more soy sauce --- if desired after the pork is finished browning you may add in fresh minced garlic and stir for 2 minutes, this is only optional --- you will love this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean pork, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce (divided, more is desired)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 3/4 cups water, divided
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon molasses (do NOT omit)
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 lb bean sprouts (or more)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch green onion (optional)
- blanched almond, lightly toasted
- 1Cut meat into thin strips.
- 2Combine 2 tbsp cornstarch with sugar, blend in 1 tbsp soy sauce and 2 tbsp oil; mix to blend.
- 3Pour over pork strips; toss well to coat, marinade in mixture for 20 minutes.
- 4In a wok or large saute pan heat 2 tablespoons shortening; brown the meat lightly on all sides in hot shortening (after browning the pork you may add in chopped garlic and saute for 2 minutes if desired).
- 5Add remaining 4 tbsp soy sauce and 1-1/2 cups water; simmer, covered on low heat for 45 minutes.
- 6Add in the celery and onions; simmer for 15 minutes more.
- 7In a small bowl, blend in remaining cornstarch with 1/4 cup water; stir into meat mixture.
- 8Add molasses, water chestnuts, bean sprouts and mushrooms; heat thoroughly.
- 9Season with salt and pepper.
- 10Garnish with chopped green onions and toasted almonds.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Chinese Pork Chow Mein
Serving Size: 1 (433 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 513.5
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 100.3 mg
- Sodium 1381.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 44.2 g