1/2 Photos of Authentic Chinese 5-Spice Peking Duck
Personal Chef Adam's Note:
An authentic Chinese roasted duck that will leave you pleasantly surprised. Crispy skin and subtle flavors make this a great introduction to an unfamiliar bird.
My Private Note
whole d ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1thaw duck overnight in refrigerator.
- 2remove giblets and trim excess fat from tail area or anywhere hanging.
- 3pierce chopstick or skewer under wing and bring through to other side to pierce through under the other wing on the other side in order to give you a way to dunk and hang duck. wings may be removed if desired.
- 4in large wok or pot bring water to a boil.
- 5add in ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, xiao xing, and honey and stir to dissolve honey completely.
- 6make a slurry with cornstarch (mix with water) then add to boiling mixture.
- 7dunk duck into boiling mixture and spoon liquid over duck for a couple of minutes making sure you completely moisten duck and render some fat.
- 8repeat process for another couple of minutes.
- 9immediately hang duck in cool room with a fan on high pointed directly on duck. make sure you put a pot or similar under duck to catch drippings.
- 10rotate duck to ensure even drying. should take about 5 hours. skin will become taunt and tight.
- 11after 4-6 hours, rub duck with 5-spice powder to taste.
- 12heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 13place duck onto roasting or cooling rack on middle or top rack of oven with a large pan filled with about 2 inches of water on bottom rack of a 375 degree oven. this will catch any drippings, keep your oven clean, and keep duck moist.
- 14roast uncovered for about 1-1 1/2 hours rotating it 2-3 times.
- 15check internal temperature for doneness. mine was perfect at 175 degrees in the breast. note that convection ovens will cook duck quite fast.
- 16remove duck and rest 10 minutes before serving whole or chopping Chinese style on the bone.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Chinese 5-Spice Peking Duck
Serving Size: 1 (991 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3876.1
- Calories from Fat 3215
- Total Fat 357.2 g
- Saturated Fat 120.0 g
- Cholesterol 690.0 mg
- Sodium 2615.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 26.6 g
- Protein 108.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder