Prep 35 mins
Cook 12 hrs
I received this in an email but have not yet tried it. I visited Austria several years ago, and did, of course try the desserts, which were fabulous. I am sure that this is no exception, especially if you love almonds! So, put on a Mozart opera and enjoy! Chill time is included in cooking time (there is no actual "cooking" that goes on here.)
- 20 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups ground almonds
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons rum (optional) or 3 tablespoons brandy (optional)
- 40 ladyfingers
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds (to garnish)
- powdered sugar (confectioner) or whipped cream (to garnish)
- Beat the butter, egg yolks, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the ground almonds, cream, and optional rum.
- Dip the ladyfingers in the milk and cover the bottom of a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan with them.
- (Note: Wrap the outside of the springform pan with aluminum foil and secure with a piece of string to prevent leakage.) Spread 1/3 of the almond mixture over the ladyfingers.
- Repeat with alternating layers of ladyfingers and almond mixture, ending with a layer of ladyfingers.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, place a heavy plate or cutting board on top, and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, run a thin knife blade around the inside of the pan before releasing the spring.
- Press toasted slivered almonds around the side of the torte and top with powdered sugar or whipped cream.