Recipe by Second2None
Simple cake without any fat and leavening. One of my recipes to try!!! From NYTimes.com. Originally published with DE GUSTIBUS; Proof That Cholesterol Can't Kill: An Egg Shop That Thrives By MOLLY O'NEILL, May 1, 1991
- 4 eggs
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the eggs and brown sugar in the top of a double boiler.
- Cook 20 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until thick.
- Stir in the vanilla, sifted flour, dates and salt.
- Pour into an ungreased 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Cool, cut into squares and serve.
- YIELD 1 cake (6 to 8 servings).