Recipe by kimbearly
this recipe came from a gooseberry patch cookbook as requested from heather feather. it is attributed to ana kelly's(birmingham alabama)aunt cornelia.........ana kelly stated that these date back to the turn of the 20th century.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
These are very good. Soft and tender cookies, very pretty with the sparkly sugar on top. These are not very,very sweet (which makes them a very good choice for dunking in coffee or tea, as the recipe name implies). I was able to get 3 dozen cookies. A nice light tasting cookie. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- sparkling white sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating well.
- add egg and vanilla;beat well.
- combine flour,salt,baking soda and baking powder.
- beat into batter alternatly with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- shape dough into 2 discs,wrap well and refridgerate at least 1 hour.
- roll each disc to a 1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface.
- cut with a 3 inch cutter, place 1 inch apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- sprinkle with sugar.
- bake at 400 degrees for 7-8 minutes.
- cool 1 minute and move to wire racks.