Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
the old one
- 59.14 ml oil
- 236.59 ml cornmeal
- 236.59 ml flour
- 44.37 ml packed brown sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- sliced cheddar cheese, opional (sandwich cheese is best)
- 118.29 ml salsa (optional)
- combined dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- combined wet ingredients in a small bowl.
- pour wet ingredients into dry and mix.
- melt butter in the oven in the 8x8" pan first and coat the pan. Then add once ingredients are mixed, stir and pour into pan. Bake at 425 until lightly golden. About 20-25 minute.
- Optional - Pour 1/2 the batter into the pan, lay the cheddar cheese slices on it, carefully spread the salsa over that, then pour in the rest of the batter. Bake the same as above.
Loved using the salsa-cheese option making this a unique and tasty way to enjoy corn bread! I cut the recipe in half and it still turned out very nice and as I did not have cheddar cheese used a sandwich slice of Pepper Jack. Thanks for the post.
This is a great cornbread recipe! I've never used brown sugar or vanilla when making cornbread and it added a wonderfully rich dimension to the flavor. Served with some spicy hot chili and really enjoyed - thanks for posting the recipe!