Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My Aunt Emma made the best bread pudding I've ever had. She passed away about 5 years ago and I just ran across a copy of her recipe in my recipe box. Thought I'd share it with you. The brown sugar melts as it bakes on top so it kind of has a caramelized sauce built in. Crumble the brown sugar over the top between your fingers so it doesn't all sink.
- Break the bread into small chunks in a large bowl.
- Add the white sugar and melted butter and stir.
- Add the eggs one at a time alternately with the milk stirring well so that each egg is incorporated before adding the next one until all the eggs and milk are used.
- Stir in the vanilla and raisins.
- Pour into a greased lasagna pan or a 13x9" inch pan.
- (sometimes the 13x9 tends to get over full depending on the particular loaf of bread).
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly across the top of bread mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 1 hour.
- Let cool 20 to 30 minutes as pudding will set firmer as it cools.
- Can be served warm or chilled.
Very rustic and easy to make with items that are readily found in the pantry. I added a touch of cinnamon to my dish. Its definately best warm with just a little heavy cream poured on top!
Delicious! This is by far the best bread pudding I have ever had. I had a coupon for a loaf of free bread--and although it was the family size I only used about half the loaf. I also ran out of vanilla when I was making this recipe so I only used about 1 tsp of vanilla instead of the required amount. We had this cold, which is the way we like pudding. Thanks 1Steve for posting this keeper recipe. We will be making it often.
I don't eat bread pudding very often, but I had a lot of bread I was trying to use up and so I thought I would try this. I used whole wheat bread (as that is all I had) and it turned out great! All of the guests at my party raved about it. One note: be sure to use a VERY large bowl to mix the ingredients. I also made this ahead of time which worked out fine except that I would sprinkle the brown sugar on right before I place it in the oven next time.