Recipe by HeatherFeather
Aunt Alta really loved pizza. I found this recipe tucked into her collection, which she had clipped out of a Pillsbury ad. The crust is not traditional at all...it is very thin and will not taste like a typical risen pizza crust. She made this for me when I visited her as a young teen. She used the round pizza plate, I only have a jelly roll pan. Note:You may replace the sauce ingredients with 1- 1 1/2 cups of prepared pizza sauce, if desired. My Aunt's original version was quite mild and contained no garlic, but I like lots of garlic.
Top Review by teresas
I use to make this all the time when the kids were little. I lost the recipe a while ago, so I was very happy to stumble on it here. I used turkey pepperoni, orange pepper, mushrooms and pineapple for a delicious pizza. Thanks for posting. :)
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml oregano or 4.92 ml italian seasoning
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 158.51 ml skim milk
Sauce (make extra if you prefer more sauce)
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce (plain)
- 9.85 ml oregano
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 1.23-2.46 ml salt, to taste
- 1.23 ml garlic powder, to taste
- 0.59 ml dreid red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 453.59 g ground Italian sausage, cooked and drained or 236.59 ml pepperoni, thinly sliced
- 59.14 ml onion, chopped (optional)
- 59.14 ml green bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 113.39 g can mushrooms, sliced, drained (optional)
- 9.85-14.78 ml fresh garlic, minced (optional)
- 236.59 ml mozzarella cheese, shredded (4 ounces in weight)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Have ready a 12-14" round pizza pan with a rim (or use a 10x15" jelly roll pan), lightly greased with olive oil.
- Combine flour, salt, oregano, pepper, eggs, and mikl until smooth.
- Pour crust batter into the pan, tilting the pan to coat evenly; you want the entire bottom covered and it will appear to be very very low and thin.
- Sprinkle cooked sausage (or pepperoni slices) all over the batter, then do the same with the garlic,onions,green peppers, and mushrooms if using, but DO NOT ADD SAUCE OR CHEESE YET.
- Bake on a low rack in preheated 425 F oven for 25-30 minutes until deep golden brown (to give it a crispy crust).
- Meanwhile mix together the sauce ingredients.
- When pizza is ready, drizzle the sauce over the pizza as evenly as you can and sprinkle cheese over the top, bearing in mind that if you add extra sauce/cheese the pizza will not be as crispy.
- Bake another 10-15 minutes or until sauce is heated through and cheese has melted.
- Cut into squares and serve, this is going to have a very thin crust and depending on how many toppings you added, might be a bit floppy so have a fork handy (my aunt always ate pizza with a fork).