Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A very delicious and easy one pot meal from my Mother-in-law. Very good served with some garlic bread and a crisp green salad. You could spice this dish up anyway you want from Mexican to Italian or Cajun. Have fun with it, and enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup long grain rice, raw
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 28 ounces tomatoes, with juice
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup water or 1 cup tomato juice
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Melt butter in large, wide frying pan.
- Cut up chicken.
- Cook over medium high heat until pale golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a 4 L baking dish with a tight fitting lid.
- Stir rice into fat remaining in frying pan; add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Break up tomatoes with a fork.
- Pour rice mixture over chicken and cover tightly.
- Bake in oven for 1 hr 15 minutes until rice is tender.
- Stir several times while cooking;add a bit more tomato juice or water if necessary.