Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe for a fresh strawberry soup from restaurant Rosa Mexicano.
- 1 pint ripe strawberry (reserve 6 for garnish)
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 ounces masa harina
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 -5 mint leaves, dried and chopped fine (or powdered hoya santa)
- Remove the hulls from the strawberries and wash. Cut into thin slices, place in a bowl and mix with 1/2 cup of the sugar. Stir occasionally. Puree strawberries in a blender and set aside.
- Stir the masa harina into the water to dissolve; strain though sieve. In a 2-quart saucepan, heat the masa mixture, milk and canela stick.
- Cook over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon. When the atole thickens after approximately 3 to 4 minutes, reduce the heat to low and add 3/4 cup of the sugar and the puree of strawberries. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add additional milk if necessary; the atole should have a slightly thick but pourable consistency.
- Strain into a serving bowl.
- To Serve: Pour into cups. Serve as a dessert soup garnished with powdered mint and half a strawberry fanned out.