Recipe by Sunshine_Trish
A recipe for the beginning stage of the Atkins Diet. I am going to try to bake this or make it as one huge omelet & then just cut it into quarters so I am not cooking one omelet at a time. Nutritional Information from Atkins is as follows: Per Serving: Net Carbs: 2 grams Total Carbs: 2 grams Fiber: 0 grams Protein: 20 grams Fat: 23 grams Calories: 290 Makes: 4 servings Active Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3⁄4 cup diced ham or 3⁄4 cup bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper and 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion; cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in 3/4 cup diced ham; cook until all ingredients turn light golden, about 3 minutes.
- Use 1/4 of this filling for each omelet, preparing recipe according to instructions.
- Whisk eggs, water, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Melt 1 teaspoon of the butter in an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add scant 1/2 cup of the egg mixture and cook 1 minute until slightly set. Lift edges of omelet with a heatproof spatula; tilt pan to let uncooked egg flow underneath. Cook just until eggs are set, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cheese over half of the omelet. Fold the omelet to enclose the cheese; transfer to serving plate. Repeat with remaining egg mixture, butter and cheese.
- ALTERNATIVE COOKING OPTION:.
- Pour entire contents into pan after mixed. Once cooked, divide into four equal pieces. Seems less time consuming this way.