Recipe by Bev
This recipe was taken from the Paris Collector's Edition of Gourmet, March 2001. I have not tried this yet, but thought I would share it here because it looks so good!
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook asparagus in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 3-6 minutes.
- Transfer with tongs to a colander.
- While asparagus is cooking, bring a 3 quart saucepan one-third full of water to a boil.
- Whisk together yolks, water, and lemon juice in a small (1-quart) saucepan.
- Place saucepan in a larger pot of boiling water, and whisk egg yolks until they begin to thicken.
- Immediately remove yolks from heat and whisk in half of butter.
- Return saucepan to boiling water and whisk (the sauce will become creamy).
- Remove from heat and whisk in remaining butter.
- Return pan to boiling water, whisking until sauce is thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat and whisk 15 seconds more.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve sauce over asparagus.
- Cook's note: Yolks in this recipe may not be cooked fully.