Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a nice "date night" main course. The recipe is from a local newspaper, with some adjustments.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 10 asparagus spears, trimmed
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter flavored crackers, crushed (I use Keebler Club crackers)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, slivered and toasted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4 inch thickness. Spread with mustard and sprinkle with onion.
- Place asparagus spears down the center of the chicken. Fold chicken over and secure with toothpicks if necessary.
- Place seam side down in an ungreased 8-in. square oven-safe dish. Pepper chicken to taste. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear. Keep chicken warm.
- For sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan. Gradually whisk in egg yolks, lemon juice, water, and salt.
- Cook sauce uncovered until mixture is thickened, stirring to prevent sticking and scorching.
- Remove toothpicks from chicken. Spoon sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with toasted almond slivers and serve.
Super easy and really tasty - I didn't use the sauce and I left out the mustard because I had purchased pre-marinated breasts and wasn't sure if the flavors would suit each other. I also stuck a strip of gouda and a strip of cheddar in with the asparagus. Definitely making this one again!
Delicious! I love the sauce recipe and the almonds. The only slight change I made, is I replaced the water with white wine.