Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is an excellent recipe with great flavor and it's fairly easy to prepare.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into1/4-inch-thick half-moon slices
- 1 lb thin asparagus, bottoms trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, strips
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion tops
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- vegetable oil cooking spray, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, squash, and asparagus and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the pepper strips and scallions.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Stir in the cheeses and the cooled vegetables.
- Spray a 9 X 5-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray, line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper, and spray again.
- Pour the egg mixture into the prepared pan, and top with another piece of vegetable oil sprayed parchment paper.
- Place the pan in a larger baking dish and place on the center oven rack.
- Pour enough hot water into the baking dish to reach halfway up the loaf pan.
- Bake until the center is firm and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove the souffle from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Run a butter knife around the edges of the pan to release the souffle.
- Turn the souffle out onto a cutting board and remove the parchment paper.
- Cut the souffle into 8 slices and serve hot or at room temperature.
I've never made anything like this before so I enjoyed the challenge and new flavors. Hopefully you will enjoy the photos. The souffle is mostly the flavor of the asparagus, but the other vegetables add nice color. I felt like it was something that might be served on a brunch plate along with a scoop of chicken salad and some fresh fruit.