Recipe by Breanna in T.O
This soup is gluten-free and it tastes great with or without the cream. It is a great spring dish for lunch or a great appetizer for dinner on the deck. It also freezes very well, allow it to cool completely and defrost in the fridge overnight. (If you do freeze the soup leave out the lemon juice and cream and add it before serving).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or just once around the pot)
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 3 small potatoes, cooked peeled, and cut into cubes
- 3 lbs asparagus, trimmed and cut into one inch pieces
- coarse salt
- 1⁄3 cup cream
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, thyme, and garlic; cook until the shallots are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and 6 cups water; season generously with coarse salt. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer, until the asparagus is bright green and tender, about 2-4 minutes.
- Working in batches puree the soup with the potatoes in a blender or food processor until smooth. If serving immediately add the cream and fresh lemon juice.