Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Two of my favorite vegetables married in one fabulous recipe.
- 3⁄4 lb asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced leeks (white and light green parts only)
- 1 cup arborio rice or 1 cup short-grain rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Roast asparagus: place asparagus in a single layer on a baking s heet. Brush evenly with 1 T. olive oil; lightly sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Bake, uncovered, in 450-degree oven about 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Cool slightly. Cut two-thirds into 2-inch pieces; set aside all asparagus.
- While the asparagus is roasting, cook leeks in a large saucepan in 1 T. olive oil until tender. Stir in uncooked rice. Cook and stir over medium heat about 5 minutes or until rice begins to turn golden brown.
- In another saucepan bring broth to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer. Carefully stir 1 cup of hot broth into rice mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until liquid is absorbed. Then add 1/2 cup broth at a time, stirring frequently until broth is absorbed before adding more broth (about 22 minutes in total).
- Stir in any remaining broth. Cook and stir just until rice is tender and creamy.
- Stir in asparagus pieces, cheese, parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, and pepper. Top with asparagus spears and lemon slices.
This was very yummy! I had to use part aborio rice, part sushi rice(they look about the same). I used vegetable broth instead of chicken. So much enjoyed! Thanks!