Recipe by Chef mariajane
A very tasty salad, with a super vinaigrette, I really think this could be one of my favorites - If I could pick one!!
For the Vinaigrette
- 1⁄4 cup stone ground dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup vegetables or 1 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- salt and pepper
For the Salad
- 30 asparagus spears, woody ends removed, cut 4-inches long
- 4 medium sized beets
- 3 red onions, sliced onto 1/4 inch thick rings
- 1 cup walnuts, halved, lightly toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Vinaigrette: Mix mustard, vinegar, honey, oil, garlic and basil in bowl. Season with a little salt and pepper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Salad: Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to boil. Add the asparagus spears to the water and cook for 3 minutes. Drain. Plunge the spears into cold running water to halt the cooking process. When cooled, drain the asparagus on paper towels, toss the asparagus with 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Bring medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the beets and cook until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Drain. Slip off the skins under cold running water. Slice the beets 1/4 inch thick. You need approximately 24 slices. Toss the beets with 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette. And refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- To assemble the salad, layer the beets, onions, and asparagus on small salad plates. Drizzle the remaining dressing around the plates and sprinkle with walnuts.