Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
By Scott Weaver, Executive Chef, Elephants Delicatessen
Make and share this Asparagus Au Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- 453.59 g asparagus
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 29.58 ml shallots, minced
- kosher salt
- black pepper, Freshly ground
- 118.29 ml creme fraiche or 118.29 ml mascarpone
- 59.14 ml gruyere cheese
- 4.92 ml fresh tarragon
- Preheat the broiler and position an oven rack 8 inches from the heat.
- Prepare asparagus by holding asparagus spear in your hand and breaking off the bottom where it snaps; this is the tough part of the stem. Discard.
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan. Add minced shallots and cook over moderately high heat until softened, about 1 minute. Add prepared asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and cook briefly over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender.
- Transfer asparagus to a medium gratin dish and arrange with asparagus heads pointing in once direction.
- Combine crème fraiche and grated gruyere cheese. Spread evenly over asparagus. When ready to serve, broil until golden and bubbling, shifting the dish for even browning, about 1-3 minutes. Sprinkle with tarragon and serve.