Prep 10 mins
Cook 72 hrs
This is an appetizer that Caprial Pence serves at her restaraunt in Portland,Oregon, called the Westmoreland Bistro. They serve this with Ginger, Carrot, and Daikon Salad and wasabi creme fraiche. Be sure to slice the salmon as thin as possible when you serve it. Cook time is marinating time.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs salmon fillets (skin on)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1⁄2 cup peeled thinly sliced gingerroot
- Place the salmon on a baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine salt, sugar, chile flakes, and five spice powder. Mix well. Spread the gingerroot over top and bottom of the salmon. Cover salmon with spice mixture on both sides. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 days, or until the fish is firm to the touch.
- To serve, slice the salmon as thinly as you can with a very sharp knife(removing the slices of ginger).Serve cold with French bread and creme fraiche mixed with wasabi paste. Enjoy!
I coated the fish with the spice mixture first then with the ginger slices. Moist and very flavorful.
nice twist on gravlax. the 5-spice is the power ingredient, and if overused, can dominate the fish. i loved it overall, but it made a lot, and with anything, sometimes too much of a good thing turns into just too much. i'd certainly make it again, and be sure to share, share share.