Recipe by Sackville
This is a new twist on the classic corn chowder. You could serve it with nan bread or garlic bread.
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 liter water
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small red chile
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (340 g) can sweetcorn
- 1 (200 ml) carton coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped coriander
- 1 lime
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the lemongrass, chicken, stock cube and a litre of cold water in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Skim away any froth on the surface.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the onion, chilli and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion, chilli and garlic until they are softened.
- Discard the lemongrass.
- Chop the chicken into small pieces and season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Drain the sweetcorn, then add the contents of the frying pan along with the corn to the stock.
- Heat through with the coconut cream.
- Use a hand blender to blitz the soup until it is almost smooth.
- Return to a clean pan, stir in the chicken and reheat.
- Just before serving, stir in the coriander with a lime wedge on the side.