This recipe came from a Moosewood recipe book. This flavored broth needs only some tender young bok choy or snow peas, sliced seasoned tofu, and a splash of soy sauce to become a delightful soothing, and light soup.
- 10 cups water
- 2 leeks or 2 large onions or 2 bunches scallions, chopped
- 4 -5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, unpeeled and smashed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns or 1⁄4 teaspoon szechuan peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 inches fresh gingerroot, sliced (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 4 -5 dried shiitake mushrooms (optional)
- 2 large parsley sprigs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a large soup pot, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Strain the stock and use it right away, or refrigerate in a covered container for up to 4 days, or freeze it for up to 6 months.