Recipe by Galley Wench
While sailing the Sea of Cortez, with not a leaf of lettuce in sight, I came up with this recipe one night. A welcomed change from tacos and burritos! Shrimp or chicken can be added to make a complete meal!
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
Gerat Taste! I didn't sprinkle the chow mein noodles on top, jsut personal preference. It was just the right amount of dressing combo that we love. Thanks for posting. Great sailing!
- 3 -4 cups finely sliced cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄3 cup peanut oil (vegetable oil can be substituted)
- 1⁄3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons minced candied ginger
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- In a large bowl, mix cabbage, onions, carrots, green onions and celery.
- Melt butter in small sauce pan and saute almonds and sesame seeds until golden brown (watch carefully as they will quickly burn).
- Remove from heat and add, sugar, oils, vinegar, soy sauce and minced ginger.
- Cool slightly.
- Pour dressing over vegetables.
- Sprinkle noodles on top and serve.