This is a quick and versatile dinner that's a cross between noodles and soup. You can toss in a variety of vegetables or meats, depending on what you have in the fridge. Substitute spinach or cabbage for the bok choy. Use a good quality chicken broth for the best results.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces fresh noodles (I use Azumaya brand, found near the tofu at the grocery store)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup broccoli, in long spears
- 3 cups baby bok choy, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup shrimp, peeled (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1Cook noodles in boiling water according to package directions.
- 2Drain in colander and rinse with cold water.
- 3Meanwhile, heat broth in soup pot and add brown sugar, vinegar, tamari, carrot, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- 4Simmer gently for five minutes.
- 5Add broccoli and simmer two minutes more.
- 6Toss in bok choy or greens, scallions, and and meats and return to a simmer.
- 7Add noodles and cook until heated through.
- 8Add cilantro just before serving, if using.
- 9Serve in large soup bowls with forks and spoons.
- 10Other ingredients you can add include cubed tofu, any cooked vegetables, sliced mushrooms, or thinly sliced beef. To make the soup less salty, use low-sodium broth or 1/2 broth and 1/2 water.
- 11Be sure to cook the noodles separately and rinse them, or the soup will be starchy and thick.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Noodle Bowl
Serving Size: 1 (449 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.6
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 74.1 mg
- Sodium 1108.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 24.0 g