Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A simple mushroom soup with an Asian-style ginger broth. Serving size is for 4 but DH and I say more like 2 servings. Fresh mushrooms are a low glycemic food as they contain very little carbohydrate. That means that they do not raise blood-sugar levels as significantly as carbohydrate-rich foods, such as bread. Foods with a low GI may help to control blood sugar levels, control appetite and lower the likelihood of getting type 2 diabetes. Weight Watching Fresh mushrooms are a perfect choice for weight management, since they have high water content, are low in fat and contain some fibre: three factors that will help you feel full with fewer calories. That means less room for calorie-laden foods.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups fat free low-sodium beef broth (or vegetable)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, fresh, sliced (shiitake or portabello)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 pinch salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons green onions, fresh chopped
- Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add ginger and garlic; stir-frying for around 30 seconds.
- Lower heat to medium and add mushrooms; stir-fry for 2 minute.
- Pour in the broth, bring to a boil; cover and cook for 10 minute.
- Add rice wine and sesame oil; stir well. Season to taste with salt.
Loved this soup and how healthy it is. I used shiitake and baby bella mushrooms (about 2 cups total.... I love mushrooms). The flavor was excellent. I did garnish with the chopped scallion tops, and mixed the lower white parts right into the soup. This is very versatile. Many Asian veggies or noodles could be added like baby bok choy or udon noodles. But really, it's great made simply as is. Thanx for posting!
Very good soup, I liekd it a lot. Easy to make, too. I didn't add anything else, just had it as it was. Will make it again and try some veggies and noodles in it. Thanks for sharing!
Made for Chinese / Vietnamese New Year Tag Game of the Asia Forum
very warm comforting soup .loved this added some spinach also i liked this alot