Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
Shiitakes are a great source of vitamin D and are thought to aid digestion. This recipe comes from the food coach.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Great, healthy soup! I made this using fresh shiitake mushrooms in place of dried, so I just skipped the soaking part. The star anise adds terrific flavor; don't skip it! I liked that the veegies weren't overcooked. The baby bok choy still had a little crunch. Thanx for posting!
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 star anise
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 bunch baby bok choy
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 cm gingerroot, peeled
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover shiitake in a bowl with 1 cup hot water. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Add the soaking water to a saucepan with 6 cups water, 1 spring onion, ginger, star anise, mirin and tamari.
- Bring to the boil slowly and add the carrots and sliced shiitake (stems removed).
- Cook gently for 10-15 minutes.
- Add bok choy and cook a further 2 minutes.
- Remove ginger and star anise.
- Place into serving bowls and add 1 tsp chopped coriander and 1 tsp chopped shallots. Serve.