Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Tofu may be replaced for the chicken if desired, make this as spicy as you like by adjusting the chili flakes, 1/4 teaspoon for mild heat, 1/2 teaspoon for medium heat, 1 teaspoon for very spicy :)
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (for a lighter chicken flavor use 2-1/2 cups broth and 1 cup water)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sliced bamboo shoot, drained
- 3 slices fresh peeled gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to heat level)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (for a thicker consistency use 3 tablespoons)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 large green onions, chopped
- In a medium saucepan combine the chicken broth, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, sliced ginger, garlic, soy sauce and chili flakes; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer while you assemble the other ingredients.
- Place the chicken strips in a bowl and toss with the sesame oil.
- In another bowl stir together the cornstarch and vinegar; set aside.
- Increase the broth heat to medium-high and return to a full boil; add in the coated chicken slices and return to a boil again, then drizzle in the egg while stirring slowly to create long strands of egg.
- Stir in the vinegar/cornstarch mixture; simmer over medium heat stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through and the broth has thickened slightly (about 3-4 minutes).
- Garnish the top with chopped green onions.