Tofu may be replaced for the chicken if desired, make this as spicy as you like by adjusting the chili flakes, 1/4 teaspoon for mild heat, 1/2 teaspoon for medium heat, 1 teaspoon for very spicy :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth (for a lighter chicken flavor use 2-1/2 cups broth and 1 cup water)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2-3/4 cup sliced bamboo shoot, drained
- 3 slices fresh peeled gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to heat level)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (for a thicker consistency use 3 tablespoons)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 large green onions, chopped
- 1In a medium saucepan combine the chicken broth, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, sliced ginger, garlic, soy sauce and chili flakes; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer while you assemble the other ingredients.
- 2Place the chicken strips in a bowl and toss with the sesame oil.
- 3In another bowl stir together the cornstarch and vinegar; set aside.
- 4Increase the broth heat to medium-high and return to a full boil; add in the coated chicken slices and return to a boil again, then drizzle in the egg while stirring slowly to create long strands of egg.
- 5Stir in the vinegar/cornstarch mixture; simmer over medium heat stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through and the broth has thickened slightly (about 3-4 minutes).
- 6Garnish the top with chopped green onions.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Hot and Sour Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.7
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 118.7 mg
- Sodium 932.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 34.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar