1 hr 35 mins
In 'Winter Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chicken breast halves, with skin and bone (about 1 lb total)
- 3 slices fresh ginger (1/4-inch slices)
- 1 scallion, white and green parts, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
Spicy Orange Vinaigrette
- 2 seedless oranges
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili sauce, such as sriracha
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Asian dark sesame oil
- 1/2 lb dried chinese noodles or 1/2 lb linguine
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch thick half-moons
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 3 tablespoons mint
- 1Place the chicken, ginger, scallion, and salt in a saucepan and add enough cold water to cover the chicken.
- 2Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 3Decrease the heat to low and cover.
- 4Simmer until the chicken loses its raw look, about 15 minutes.
- 5Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 20 minutes.
- 6Drain the chicken; let the chicken cool until easy to handle.
- 7Remove and discard the skin and bone; pull the chicken meat into shreds.
- 8Vinaigrette--grate the zest from 1 orange into a small bowl and reserve.
- 9Cut off the peel from the oranges.
- 10Working over another bowl to collect the juices, cut between the membranes to release the orange segments.
- 11Squeeze the juice from the membranes, if necessary, to measure 2 tablespoons.
- 12Whisk together the orange juice and zest, soy sauce, vinegar, hoisin sauce, and hot sauce until combined.
- 13Gradually whisk in the vegetable oil, then the sesame oil.
- 14Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- 15Add the noodles and cook according to the package directions until tender.
- 16Drain and rinse under cold running water; drain well.
- 17Transfer the noodles to a bowl.
- 18Add the chicken, orange segments, cucumber, scallions, and bell pepper.
- 19Add the vinaigrette and toss well.
- 20Sprinkle with the cilantro.
- 21Taste and season with soy sauce and hot sauce, as desired.
- 22Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Chicken Salad With Spicy Orange Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 443.5
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.5 mg
- Sodium 935.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 9.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Asian chili sauce
Asian dark sesame oil