Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Chicken-fried steak is a treat no Southerner can resist! And I can't resist a 5-ingredient version of the recipe. This is really not a hard food to prepare and I give ideas for rounding out a traditional meal using convenience foods. Prepare as much of your menu as possible beforehand because once the meat starts cooking, it goes fast! Treat yourself to some real down-home southern cooking today!
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together in a bowl; I use soup bowls. You may measure these, as I do, Rachael Ray style ~ in other words I eyeball the amounts. In a second bowl. whisk together the milk and egg until lemon colored. I a third bowl, add the dry bread crumbs. Line the bowls up assemble-line style.
- Dredge the meat in the seasoned flour, knocking off excess. Dip floured meat in the egg and milk mixture, coating well. Then dredge in the bread crumbs, again, coating well.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet (traditional but your own skillet will work) over medium-high heat. Add oil. When oil is hot enough to spit back at you if you sprinkle water on it, add meat and brown 2-1/2 minutes per side for rare, 4 minutes per side for medium and 6 minutes per side for well-done. Turn only once. As you see, this goes fast and the meat requires your full attention while cooking. Remove meat to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Notes: A traditional meal of chicken-fried steak includes:.
- Mashed potatoes: use a prepared mix or refrigerated potatoes.
- Country gravy: use an envelope of country-style gravy and prepare according to package directions.
- Green beans: canned beans work well, perhaps flavored with some bacon.
- Biscuits: use refrigerated baking powder style biscuits. These are a vital part of the Southerner's meal.
- Salad: A wedge of lettuce or tossed green salad goes well.
- Dessert: That's up to you. Mississippi Mud Cake was a fave in our home (recipe is posted).
- Remember to prepare as much as possible of the menu beforehand so that once the meat is cooked, you're ready to heat.
- To make CHICKEN-FRIED CHICKEN, I follow this same recipe, but I use pounded boneless skinless chicken breasts (your butcher will do this for you). I do like Panko on the chicken.
Never made chicken fried steak before, and was looking for an easy recipe. Found it!! This was delicious!!! And sooo easy. Thanks for posting, will be making this again soon!