Lorraine of AZ's Note:
Chicken-fried steak is a treat no Southerner can resist! And I can't resist a 5-ingredient version of the recipe. This is really not a hard food to prepare and I give ideas for rounding out a traditional meal using convenience foods. Prepare as much of your menu as possible beforehand because once the meat starts cooking, it goes fast! Treat yourself to some real down-home southern cooking today!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the flour, salt and pepper together in a bowl; I use soup bowls. You may measure these, as I do, Rachael Ray style ~ in other words I eyeball the amounts. In a second bowl. whisk together the milk and egg until lemon colored. I a third bowl, add the dry bread crumbs. Line the bowls up assemble-line style.
- 2Dredge the meat in the seasoned flour, knocking off excess. Dip floured meat in the egg and milk mixture, coating well. Then dredge in the bread crumbs, again, coating well.
- 3Heat a cast-iron skillet (traditional but your own skillet will work) over medium-high heat. Add oil. When oil is hot enough to spit back at you if you sprinkle water on it, add meat and brown 2-1/2 minutes per side for rare, 4 minutes per side for medium and 6 minutes per side for well-done. Turn only once. As you see, this goes fast and the meat requires your full attention while cooking. Remove meat to a serving dish and keep warm.
- 4Notes: A traditional meal of chicken-fried steak includes:.
- 5Mashed potatoes: use a prepared mix or refrigerated potatoes.
- 6Country gravy: use an envelope of country-style gravy and prepare according to package directions.
- 7Green beans: canned beans work well, perhaps flavored with some bacon.
- 8Biscuits: use refrigerated baking powder style biscuits. These are a vital part of the Southerner's meal.
- 9Salad: A wedge of lettuce or tossed green salad goes well.
- 10Dessert: That's up to you. Mississippi Mud Cake was a fave in our home (recipe is posted).
- 11Remember to prepare as much as possible of the menu beforehand so that once the meat is cooked, you're ready to heat.
- 12To make CHICKEN-FRIED CHICKEN, I follow this same recipe, but I use pounded boneless skinless chicken breasts (your butcher will do this for you). I do like Panko on the chicken.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for As Easy As It Gets Chicken-Fried Steak
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.8
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 48.6 mg
- Sodium 97.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: