Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
From RealSimple.com (October 2006) --
Top Review by tracytrebilcox
I can't say enough great things about this salad. It tasted like it came from a five-star restaurant, yet was easy enough to have done in a matter of minutes. I paired it with bacon-wrapped steaks that I had gotten from Costco, and it was the perfect meal. Even Mr. Finicky gave it a perfect score!
- 12 slice bacon (Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings)
- 1892.72 ml arugula (or substitute mixed greens)
- 8 dates (such as Medjool, pitted and sliced lengthwise)
- 59.14 ml toasted almond (1 ounce, roughly chopped)
- 56.69 g parmesan cheese (about 1/3 cup, cut into small pieces or slivers)
- 14.79 ml balsamic vinegar
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 1.23 ml kosher salt
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- 14.79 ml olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the arugula, dates, almonds, and Parmesan; set aside.
- Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Carefully pour 2 tablespoons of the warm drippings into a small bowl. Add the vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and oil; whisk until combined.
- Drizzle the warm vinaigrette over the salad and toss.
- Divide among plates and top with crumbled bacon.