I love to buy the garlic bread with the whole cloves of garlic from Costco, however I can't always get there when I want. I fiddled around a little and this one is pretty close, you do have to plan ahead because the sponge takes at least 18 hrs but the bread is well worth the trouble. This bread makes the BEST grilled sandwiches! I also like to butter it and grill it to go with a salad. YUMMY!!!
- The Sponge: Combine the sponge ingredients in a large plastic bowl, cover with plastic wrap and keep in a warm place for 18-20 hours.
- When ready the sponge should have expanded and smell pleasantly sour and bubbling. (at this point you may wish to refrigerate for up to 7 days, just remember to bring back to room temp).
- Bread: Place sponge and all other ingredients except garlic in mixing bowl, mix well and let rest 20-30 minutes.
- Mix again for 5-10 minutes, then cover and allow to rise 2-3 hours.
- Turn out onto lightly greased surface and flatten like you would cinnamon rolls .
- Sprinkle the garlic cloves evenly over the dough and roll up in cinnamon roll fashion pinching the sides in as you make a long oblong shaped loaf.
- Allow the loaf to rise covered with a towel for 2 hours or till almost doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Slash the top of the loaf 4 times with a sharp knife.
- Spritz loaf and oven with water.
- Bake in 475°F oven for 3 minutes spraying 2 more times.
- Turn the oven down to 375°F (if it is baking to fast try 350°F).
- Spray often with the water and watch for the bread turning brown too fast. If it does, cover with a foil tent.
- Bake approx 30-40 minutes or till nicely browned and bottom thumps hollow.
- This bread can be a little temperamental, just watch the coloring and adjust temp and cook time as needed.