Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I used to bartend at Romano's Macaroni Grill. I thought their food was gross and it really is among the unhealthiest food you can find, but I enjoyed their Basil Pesto Chicken Pizza, which I ate often. I don't think it's even on the menu anymore, and it's been years since I've had it so I wouldn't call this recipe as an exact copycat... but it's close enough for me. I include artichokes and red pepper flakes, which Mac Grill did not use. The chicken is pretty much optional- I often make this vegetarian.
- 12 inches pizza dough
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 -2 chicken breast, grilled & sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, well-drained & quartered
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup basil pesto
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Prepare your pizza: Top the crust with mozzarella, Parmesan, chicken, artichoke hearts, and sun-dried tomatoes, in that order.
- Dollop the ricotta cheese all over the pizza (I usually do 1/2 teaspoon size balls). Sprinkle pizza with red pepper flakes, if using.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and pizza is warm (or however long your pizza dough package recommends).
- Remove pizza from oven and drizzle with little dollops of pesto sauce. Serve.
Fantastic pizza! I really loved the addition of the ricotta -- have never had that on a pizza, but won't leave it off in the future. DH and I differed over whether the pesto should have been added on the crust first (rather than in dollops once it was out of the oven), but I liked the recipe as written. The only changes I made was to add some olives and roasted red bell peppers to the sundried tomatoes and artichokes. Will definitely make this again! Made for PRMR, June, 2013.
Yum! I spread the pesto on the crust, then followed the instructions exactly. My sun dried tomatoes got a little burnt, but it still tasted great! Maybe the ones packed in oil would have been a better choice and not gotten to brown. Very good pizza! I'll make it again and probably rub some roasted garlic on the crust as well as add black olives. Thanks for sharing!! Made for PRMR tag