I used to bartend at Romano's Macaroni Grill. I thought their food was gross and it really is among the unhealthiest food you can find, but I enjoyed their Basil Pesto Chicken Pizza, which I ate often. I don't think it's even on the menu anymore, and it's been years since I've had it so I wouldn't call this recipe as an exact copycat... but it's close enough for me. I include artichokes and red pepper flakes, which Mac Grill did not use. The chicken is pretty much optional- I often make this vegetarian.
- 12 inches pizza dough
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 -2 chicken breast, grilled & sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, well-drained & quartered
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup basil pesto
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Prepare your pizza: Top the crust with mozzarella, Parmesan, chicken, artichoke hearts, and sun-dried tomatoes, in that order.
- Dollop the ricotta cheese all over the pizza (I usually do 1/2 teaspoon size balls). Sprinkle pizza with red pepper flakes, if using.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and pizza is warm (or however long your pizza dough package recommends).
- Remove pizza from oven and drizzle with little dollops of pesto sauce. Serve.