I threw this together last night. I was out of sweetened condensed milk and out of evaporated milk so I tried this and it was just as good!
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add rice, cover and remove from heat. Let the rice sit for 10 minutes.
- Drain the rice and place back into a saucepan with 2 cups of water, lemon peel, and salt and boil on medium heat covered for 10 minutes.
- Place the rice in a bowl covered with plastic and set aside.
- Bring the 2 cups of milk, vanilla, cinnamon sticks and sugar to a low boil stirring continuously for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lemon peel from the rice and discard.
- Add the rice to the milk mixture and turn the heat up to medium high. Cook stirring throughly for an additional 2 minutes. Add the raisans and cook stirring continuously for another 2 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon powder on top if desired.