Rice Pudding -- Mexican Style, Arroz Con Leche
photo by LinhyLinh
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (155 g)
- 3 cups water
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon very fine julienne strips lime peel (optional)
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cups milk (or for richer pudding substitute 1 can of evaporated milk and add enough regular milk to equal 4 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, to taste (375g)
- 1⁄3 cup raisins (60 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the rice in a large saucepan with the water, cinnamon, lime peel and salt.
- Bring to a boil; lower the heat and cook, covered, until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Beat an egg into the milk.
- Stir in the milk, egg mixture and sugar, stirring constantly, over low heat until the mixture thickens.
- Add the raisins and vanilla and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter or individual bowls and refrigerate.
- Garnish with ground cinnamon if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
GREAT RECIPE! Now, what I got frustrated with was the stirring. I kept on stirring that thing for 1 hour (I'm not exaggerating) over low heat and it was still not thickening. So what I did was I brought it to high heat and let it boil a little, then started stirring again, and THEN it thickened! I forgot to put the salt and I didn't put the lime peel. I also put only 3/4 cup of sugar and the sugar level is good. It tastes great!!! If anyone is having the same stirring problem, I think the solution is just to bring up the heat and let it boil a little, then stir. I guess the stirring over low heat is just to make sure the rice is not hard (?). Thanks for posting this one up! This is the recipe I'll use whenever I want to make some more Arroz Con Leche! :)
i used evaporated milk with regular milk, it didn't seem to take too long to thicken. i also used lime peel and 1 cinnamon stick. it tasted just like the arroz con leche u get in the market frozen, the ones that come in individual cups. i liked this recipe, not too complicated. i'm quite lazy. i also omitted the raisins, not a fan.
see 40 more reviews