Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe combines crisp phyllo pastry with aromatic spices and succulent tomatoes in this tasty, fuss-free tart.
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 tomatoes, cut into 4 thick slices
- Place a non stick baking tray into the oven, and preheat the oven to 425°F
- Lightly brush the phyllo pastry sheets with a little of the olive oil and fold in half. Stack the sheets, one on top of the other, on another non-stick baking tray.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat, and add the ground coriander, fennel seeds, scallions, cumin seeds and garlic. Stir and fry until the spices give off a fragrant aroma - about 30 seconds or so.
- Add the chili powder and tomatoes in 2 batches and cook for 1-2 minutes, taking care not to break up the tomato slices. Reserve any cooking juices.
- Arrange the tomatoes on the pastry, leaving a 1/4in border of pastry around the edge.
- Set the baking tray on top of the hot tray in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Drizzle any spicy tomato juices over the tart and serve.