Recipe by alkaloidqueen
This recipe came about because I was craving a "different" kind of chili. Pumpkin immediately came to my mind. The smell that filled my house while simmering was amazing! This chili was thick and creamy, not much color but delicious!
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 lb dried black beans (used quick soak method, then simmered with recipe, OR use 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 ounce) can Libby's canned pumpkin
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chilies
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (add more if a thinner chili is preferred)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 1 lb ground bison meat (or whatever meat you prefer)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder (add more for more heat)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (add more for more heat)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- cilantro (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat and onion together. Add meat and onion to large pot with black beans after they have finished soaking and have been drained and rinsed. Add remaining ingredients except cilantro.
- Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours on low heat, maintain a light bubbling and simmer until black beans are soft. Stir occasionally. Adjust the seasonings to your liking.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with tortilla chips.