Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
"This Asian soup is typically light and fragrant, with a hint of chili. It is also full of textural interest, with its lively mix of fresh vegetables." Ethnic Cuisine.
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 fresh lemongrass, bruised
- 1 small fresh red chile
- 1⁄2 lime, juice and zest of, grated
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 cup snow peas, cut diagonally into thin strips
- 1 carrot, shaved into ribbons
- 3 1⁄2 ounces baby corn, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus extra fine strips to garnish
- salt and pepper
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems. Reserve the leaves and put the stems in a large pan with the chicken stock, lemongrass, chili, and lime rind. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Strain the stock into a separate pan and discard the flavorings. Add the lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken to the stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro leaves and stir into the soup with the scallions. Serve immediately in warmed bowls, garnished with fine scallion strips, if desired.