Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
From a magazine put out by Waitrose supermarket. You can freeze this if you like in rigid airtight containers for up to 2 months. Defrost for 24 hours in a fridge and reheat in a saucepan by simmering over a very low heat for 5-6 minutes until bubbling.
- 500 g lamb necks, fillets, cubed
- 1 red onion, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 500 g potatoes, quartered
- 750 ml stock
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Meanwhile, fry the meat in a non-stick pan until browned.
- Transfer with any juices to an oven-proof dish.
- Add the onion into the frying pan and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add the cumin, cardamom, cinnamon stick, potatoes and the stock.
- Season and bring to a boil.
- Put in with the lamb and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove the lamb and potatoes from the casserole and set aside.
- Skim away any extra fat and then simmer the rest of the casserole over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes to reduce the liquid or until it reaches a consistency you are happy with.
- Add the lamb and potatoes back into the stew.
- Stir in the chutney and garnish with parsley.
- Serve with naan bread and basmati rice.