I have had this mac and cheese and it truly is awesomely rich and creamy! I had totally forgotten how good it was until I opened the June 2006 issue of Midwest Living and there it was. No more trips to Chicago to get it, here is the recipe!
- 10 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded sharp cheddar cheese (2cups)
- 1 (8 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, pasteurized processed cheese, cut up (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper (white if you have it)
- Let cheeses and butter stand at room temperature.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions until almost al dente'.
- Drain macaroni and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add 1 cup shredded cheese and Velveeta cubes to hot pasta and stir gently til cheeses start to melt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, butter, milk, soup, salt and pepper.
- Stir this mixture into the cooked macaroni mixture.
- Transfer half into a 13x9 sprayed baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Top with remaining macaroni mixture.
- Bake covered at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Return to oven and bake 15 minutes more until cheese is melted and bubbly brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving to meld flavors.