1/3 Photos of Armenian Nutmeg Cake
1 hr 15 mins
Armenia is famous for its sweet and spicy nutmeg cake. It has a crunchy base and light cake topping, and tastes delicious. This recipe was given to me 16 years ago by the mother of one of my son's kindergarten friends. Tried and true!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed (I use dark brown)
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk (or you can substitute sour cream)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup walnuts or 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Grease a 9 inch square pan, and line with baking paper if desired.
- 3Combine flour, baking powder and salt, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- 4You can do this with the tips of your fingers or in your food processor.
- 5Then add sugar, and combine.
- 6Press half this mixture evenly over the base of the prepared cake pan, and reserve other half.
- 7Dissolve baking soda in milk (or sour cream), add beaten egg and nutmeg, then add to reserved mixture.
- 8Combine well.
- 9Pour into pan and sprinkle nuts, and some cinnamon if desired, over top.
- 10Bake in oven for 45 minutes to 60 minutes (start testing for doneness with a skewer after about 45 minutes).
- 11Allow to stand for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Armenian Nutmeg Cake
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.0
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 38.6 mg
- Sodium 242.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 35.8 g
- Protein 4.2 g