1 hr 40 mins
Carolyn Jay's Note:
These rice balls have prosciutto added for the meat lovers out there. They are excellent as finger food or a light lunch with salad. The risotto used as the base for this recipe is also delicious on it's own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 30 g butter
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated parmesan cheese
- 4 slices prosciutto, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 5 large bocconcini, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 1/2 cups breadcrumbs, approx
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1Place stock and water in a saucepan, bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover.
- 2Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large saucepan; cook onion and garlic, stirring until soft. Add rice; stir to coat in onion mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup of the simmering stock mixture; cook, stirring over low heat until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the stock mixture in 1/2 cup batches, stirring until liquid is absorbed after each addition. Total cooking time should be about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- 3Stir in peas, parmesan, prosciutto, season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread risotto mixture thinly onto a large tray to cool for 30 minutes.
- 4Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls; press a piece of bocconcini into the centre of each ball, roll to enclose. Coat the risotto balls in flour; shake off excess. Dip in egg and then breadcrumbs to coat.
- 5Heat oil in a large pan or wok; deep fry the balls in batches until lightly browned and cheese is melted in the centre. Drain on absorbent paper.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arancini (Italian Rice Balls)
Serving Size: 1 (2331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 80.4
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 111.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: