Mexican Rice Balls - Leftover Rice
This is a great recipe for leftover aborio rice. I used Recipe #77050. Do use your favorite cooked Mexican rice. This is Italian rice balls gone South! These are great to bring to parties just reheat in 425°F oven for 10 minutes!
- Ready In:
- 5 cups cooked rice ($notetemplate1$)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, cut into 16 cubes
- oil, for frying
- flour, for coating
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten for dipping
- seasoned breadcrumbs, for coating
- Mix chilled rice, eggs, and peas together.
- Roll into balls about the size of a tangerine and place one cube of cheese into the rice ball. Reform balls firmly to hold shape.
- Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs into 3 separate bowls.
- Dip each ball in flour, shaking off excess and reform if needed. Dip in egg, letting excess drip off, then dredge in bread crumbs, reforming and transfer to a sheet of wax paper. Repeat with remaining balls.
- Meanwhile heat 2 inches of oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot until thermometer registers 350-360 degrees F. Working in batches of 4-6 balls, lower rice balls into oil with a slotted spoon and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Transfer with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Return oil to 350-360°F between batches.
- Serve with a tomato sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation