Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very typical Arabic soup made with very few ingredients. The taste is amazing and your stomach will thank you if you eat it on a warm, rainy day. Make it a meal by adding torn up pieces of pita bread to your bowl, or fry pieces of pita bread in oil for an arabic style crouton. Some like a squeeze of lemon or a pinch of cumin for extra flavor. A garnish of green onion is nice as well. Great soup for pressure cooker.
- In a large pot or pressure cooker, saute chopped onions in vegetable oil until soft.
- Rinse dried lentils several times.
- Add lentils, water, salt and pepper to the pot.
- Bring to boil and simmer for an hour or more until lentils turn yellow in color and are soft and dissolving in broth.
- If using a pressure cooker, cook for 15 minutes after pressure has risen. Release pressure before removing lid.
- Whisk lentils to make a smooth soup, or stir to blend for a more textured soup.
This recipe is very much like one my habibi (boyfriend) made for me. Only he used brown lentils because that's the only kind the store had. And he used real butter. It was sooo good! I couldn't believe something so simple could taste so good!