Arabic Lentil Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 cups dry lentils (yellow or orange lentils)
- 4 -6 cups water
- 2 low-sodium chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 3 -4 garlic cloves (to taste, or garlic powder)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (to taste, start with 1 tsp and add more)
- 1⁄8 cup fresh parsley, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom or 2 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse lentils well.
- Saute onions, carrots, potatoes, & celery in large pot, Cook until veggies are soft and aromatic.
- Add water, chicken (or veg) stock, bay leaf, and lentils to veggies. Add vegetable soup if using. Bring to a boil and simmer for at least 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 tsp cumin & rest of spices, stir in and taste, add more. I find the cumin flavor kind of disappears with long cooking so I usually add half in the beginning and half about 15-30 minutes before serving.
- Let cook on low for as long as you have time. Flavor of soup improves with longer cooking.
- Blend soup in blender or with immersion blender until texture is mostly smooth.
- Serve with freshly ground black pepper, croutons and wedges of lemon to squeeze over the soup (essential!).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!