Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This doesnt taste exactly like arabian pita, but it is close. So quick and easy, and tastes better with arabian dishes (hummous, falafel, shawerma, etc). I make it when i can't get arabian pita, great with "fooll muddames" as well. This is my Mom's recipe.
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons oil
- Mix yeast, water and sugar.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, dried milk and salt.
- Pour in the oil and yeast/water mixture and stir well.
- You might need to add more flour or water, depending on the absorbency of the flour.
- Knead dough briefly, divide into 18 egg sized balls.
- Place on a floured surface, cover and let rest for 15-30 minutes.
- Roll one ball out and cook in a skillet until large "bubbles" form.
- Flip pita over and cook the other side for a few more minutes.
- I flatten it out with a spatula.
- Keep bread warm (wrap in a towel or place in a ziploc bag) while cooking the rest of the bread.
- These freeze well.
Delicious, quick, and easy. I've made these twice now and we love them. I have even wrapped leftover dough balls (already risen) in saran wrap and put them in the fridge for a couple of days. When I cooked the last batch up (straight from the fridge, then rolled out) they came out even fluffier than freshly made ones. I don't know why that is, but I'm happy it worked. Now when I make a batch of hummus, we can have freshly baked pitas with it each day! Oh-- also I only used 3 T. olive oil, 1 T. of milk (not powdered), 1.5 c. whole wheat pastry flour (with white flour for remaining flour) and it came out great.
I loved this recipie! Very easy and tasty. I used olive oil and the second time I made it I used 1 cup of wheat flour instead of white. I'll probably use more wheat flour next time -- it give it just a bit more flavor.
I've made this 3 times now & like it a lot. But is this supposed to make pita pockets? It doesn't for me.I end up with a soft flat bread. You're right najwa, it's great wiyh hummus & falafel - just not what I expected.