Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Not sure where this came from....another handwritten note here for safe keeping. I have not made this yet, but it is a smaller cake (9 in sq pan)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In small saucepan, combine apricots and water. Cook over med heat 15-20 mins or until tender, stirring frequently. Drain and puree apricots. Set aside.
- While apricots are cooking, grease and flour a 9-in square pan. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In large bowl, beat sugar and 1/3 cup butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, lemon extract and egg, beat well. Alternately add dry ingredients and 2/3 cup water to sugar mixture. Stir in 3 Tablespoons of apricot puree. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until done. Cool slightly.
- FROSTING: In small saucepan, combine brown sugar, 2 Tbls butter and remaining apricot puree. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 min, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in coconut. Immediately spread over warm cake.
Not really sure if this should be 4-5 stars I wish there was 4 1l/2 So very yummy and easy to make. Unfortunately It took me several tries to make as I kept eating the dried apricots and did not have enough to make recipe. Once I finally made I was so glad I got a big package of apricots so I could make this recipe. I only had a little piece as others in my group devoured the cake. That is why I am unsure of the rating. Usually I save 5 stars for exceptional cake. I didn't eat enough to know if it was exceptional or I just like it a lot. though I suppose that is exceptional as I am in regards to food taste hard to please.
I made as is only I greased pan and lined with aluminum foil so Cake would release from pan easily.